The only problem with using ambisonics mics is the high frequency limit
above which they stop working properly. A second order ambi mic reduces
this problem, but above about 7Khz the not quite coincident capsules
becomes a problem.

On Thu, 22 Oct 2020 at 11:36, Steven Boardman <boardroomout...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > What makes you think that ORTF captures
> > 'a small 8th of a sphere' ??
>
> I don’t..
>
> Maybe I wasn’t clear. What I meant was replacing each ORTF capsule (or M/S
> pair) with an ambisonic mic, and decoding for the direction it should point.
> All spaced array setups can use ambisonic mics, as they can output all the
> polar patterns required.
> My point was; the polar patterns would be more accurate (for a calibrated
> mic) and hence the spatial accuracy better.
> So yes exactly that.
>
> Thanks for making it clearer :)
>
> Steve
>

> > Sorry, this doesn't make any sense... A decoder doesn't give 'spherical
> > coordinates', it outputs signals. What makes you think that ORTF captures
> > 'a small 8th of a sphere' ??
> >
> > Each Ambisonic mic, by suitable combination of its capsule signals [1],
> > can provide the same signals as any number of conventional capsules
> > (omni, cardioid, fig-of-eight,...) placed at the same point in space
> > and in any direction.
> >
> > So you can always replace every group of (nearly) coincident conventional
> > capsules (e.g. an M/S pair) by an Ambisonic one and get exactly the same
> > signals.
> >
> > If you use a higher order AMB mic (e.g. an OctoMic) you can even get
> > polar patterns for which no conventional capsule equivalent exists, and
> > which certainly provide an advantage for surround.
> >
> > That's all there is to it.
> >

> > [1] This involves some filtering as well as just summing/subtracting
> > signals, and for good reults it requires calibration of the AMB mic's
> > capsules. If you experimented with Ambisonics in the way you pointed
> > out, it's no surprise you got bad results.
> >
> > As I've stated a number of times before, there is *a lot* of completely
> > bogus information on Ambisonics technology floating around. Some of this
> > stuff is at the same level of intellectual integrity as e.g. flat-earth
> > theories. Most of it is just the results of failing to understand basic
> > things, or of simplifying things to the point that whatever remains is
> > 'not even wrong'. Combine that with some people having their own agenda.
> >
> > Ciao,
> >
> > --
> > FA

07889727365