Hi
I´m doing a lot of sound design for different museums and the museum uses
mainly Genelecs, different models (the Dante suited ones mostly). In the
current exhibition we have 57 speakers.
they sound good, distributes the sound fine, but they look like..speakers and
take up the space like speakers.

And the designer of the exhibitions (and the soundesigner) doesn´t like a
modern looking speaker in the middle of set up about a neanderthal.
The speakers end up being placed "out of sight" - 3,5 - 4 meter above ground,
sometimes a combi of this high and on the floor.

So If I want a group of Mammoths walking through the wood, they walk 4 meters
up (and suddenly on the ground and up again) - so I don´t do the walk...
Sometimes we want a projection on a large stone (build of wood and stuff) to
speak directly to the the viewer/listener, but the speaker hangs from the
ceiling - 3 meters up...

In rare occasion we are allowed to build in the Genelecs and after calibration
it ended up sounding really good. (eight Genelec´s pointing outwards in a
circle, playing stereo (aka 4 stereo set ups)

A lot of you guyes have probably experienced the same challenges. And like me
been searching the marked for build in possibilities
But I cannot find anything that both sound good and is build in capable (or
just "out of sight").
Where should I look?
any experience to share?
pros and cons?

I know there are "laws and order" regarding how a speaker needs to be build to
make a sound (a good one)
and I´m talking to some technical guys about why not event a speaker that uses
the thing it is buid into as the sound chamber.
Of course in conjunction with some calibration.
So you have "the gut" of the speaker and uses (in this case) the Stone as a
chamber.
Anyone ever tried that?

Another thing is how to cover up the speaker diaphragm/membrane, the we don´t
eat up the frequencies.

Med venlig hilsen/Best regards

Søren Bendixen
Composer/Sound Designer & Guitarist

Company: Audiotect

Radio Audiotect: Is closed atm.

Latest Music and Sounddesign

Neanderthal - In the Land of the Mammoth Hunters -17 nov 2020 - summer 2021
Moesgaard Museum special exhibition

Stringquartet no. 1 - Release d. 200920