From: Arthur Sauer <art...@sauermusic.com>
To: sursound@music.vt.edu
Sent: Tue, Jun 22, 2021 5:17 pm
Subject: [Sursound] Level difference between A-format and B-format (Ambix and
FuMa)

I'm having an issue with a Sound Devices recorder (MixPre 10 II), where there
is a level difference between the A-format and the simultaneously recorded
B-format (Ambix and FuMa).
The level difference is 16 dB.
This is a first order ambisonic recording (with a Core Sound Tetramic).

Someone from Sound Devices assumed that this level difference may be due to the
conversion.

Now I know normalizations are used for the conversion from A to B-format (SN3D,
maxN), but I can't work out the mathematics behind it.
Anyway, looking at it does in no way seem to explain a level difference of 16
dB.

Now I was wondering: is there any level difference to be expected between
A-format and B-format Ambix or FuMa?
How much?

I do not like to make wrong statements to someone who should be helping me
fixing a bug.
So, could someone enlighten me on this subject?

Best regards,

Arthur Sauer