On 12/1/21 12:35 PM, Jens Ahrens wrote:
Hi Fons,

I’m attaching Fig. 1 from the JASA article. Please refer to the article itself
if the image does not get through. It compares the SMA radial filters with the
EMA radial filters. Whenever the solid lines deviate from dashed ones of the
same color, then the given order is not available at the frequency range where
the deviation occurs. If I’m not misreading, then the 7th order is available
somewhere between 2 kHz and 3 kHz and higher. Aliasing kicks in at around 4
kHz-ish.

So, indeed, there is not much more than 7th order that can be squeezed out of
an array of this radius.

Cool. The correctly recovered harmonics for 7th order span about 1 octave of useful range, if I understand correctly.

Is it perceptually significant to have 7th order components? Or, in other words, as you add spherical harmonics to your encoding process, how does the spatial perception change?

Or from the other end, if you start with a 7th order recording and you start truncating the order to lower and lower values in the decoding process, how does the perception of the recording change? Is there a decrease in order for which you can say, "well, that one did not add much, did it?"

Just curious...
-- Fernando

Regarding the calibration: Sorry for the imprecise wording! I meant to say that
we didn’t check if there was actually any mismatch between the microphones.
(This means in turn that I can't tell in how far the method is sensitive to
that. My guess is that it is not more or less sensitive than SMAs.)
The reason why I’m not worried is because the array passed the stress test:
When recording sound sources at a distance of, say, a few meters or farther,
the whole setup is rather forgiving. That means, for example, that one doesn’t
need to be too precise in the modelling of the scattering off the microphone
baffle etc. The critical case is very close sources. Recall that in the video,
I’m as close as a few centimetres to the surface of the array. This triggers a
lot of the high orders at low frequencies, and if there is something that is
not ideal, then the low frequencies tend to go through the ceiling. We tested
this with the array, and it behaved.

How would I be noticing if the microphone mismatch is above the tolerance level?

Best regards,
Jens

On 1 Dec 2021, at 17:47, Fons Adriaensen