For as long as ambisonics has been around, there were also ideas of active decoding. Even "infinite order decoding", actively. There's been Harpex for two specular sources, derived from the theory leading upto Dolby Pro, and then there's been DirAC, which additionally tries to separate the reverberant field from the specular sources, which it then at "infinite order" renders onto a rig via VBAP. So it's nice in all and might work, but I'd say this work is not too principled or generalizable.

I mean, none of this theory or technique actually seems to take the ambisonic framework seriously. For example, none of it generalizes to arbitrary order, or works with the harmonical functions. None of it really works with spherical harmonics as HOA of does. For some reason this kind of analysis leaves me...lacking.

So tell me, researchers, professors on-list, and your post-docs, might you maybe delve into a couple of my amateur ideas and questions?

1) Express any active decoding solution in an infinite series of spherical harmonics, utilizing only them. Becaause this kind of solution would necessarily solve the active solution problem for any distribution of sources, instead of just one, two, or in periphony even, four.

2) The mixed order problem. Years back I thought it'd be optimal to just sum first and higher order order ambisonic signal sets together, and decode them en masse, using a single decoder.

I was wrong: the optimal decoding for first and second order sets is different. So, since people obviously mix first and higher order signal sets, the optimal decoder needs to separate the contribution of each successive order from each other, in order to optimally decode them. All of the orders, overlapping slightly, to a degree.

This all can be systematically implemented via some variant of non-negative matrix factorization, or a couple of related methods. I believe.

Please try it out, or make someone try out.
--
Sampo Syreeni, aka decoy - de...@iki.fi, http://decoy.iki.fi/front +358-40-3751464, 025E D175 ABE5 027C 9494 EEB0 E090 8BA9 0509 85C2