On Sun, 30 Dec 2001, CRAIG BAMFORD wrote:

>        I have a 486 dx2,with win 3.1, when l try to print i get error
> message saying carnt find spool or some thing like that ,can any body
> help!

It sounds to me like a printer spooler error.  Have you filled up the
hard drive - not leaving enough space for a spool file?  The spooler is
software included with Windows that allows big blocks of data to be
written to a hard drive (a descendent of the original drum drive or
"spool" used as a First-In-First-Out [FIFO] printer buffer).  This is much
faster than waiting for the printer to catch up.  The spooler software
then reads from the hard drive invisibly (well nearly so, you may notice
things are a little slower - depending on the relative priorities of what
you are doing and the spooler).  Working "in the background", the spooler
software juggles priorities and "spoon feeds" the printer data to print as
needed.

Try clicking on: Program Manager > Main > Control Panel > Printers
tab and <Spacebar> or <Alt>-U to Check/Uncheck "Use Print Manager".

Reboot.

If it works without the X in the box (perhaps very slowly, and holding
up everything else until the job is done), but not with the X, then you
need to either go to Program Manager > Main > Print Manager and <alt>-O
(the letter "Oh") to correct the Options as needed - or remove and
re-install the Print Manager to fix a corrupt file.

Hope this helps.

Boyd Ramsay

[EMAIL PROTECTED]