Praise of open source code arose in connection with the dos/linus discussion.
I have often been on the wrong end of trying to compile some open source
(e.g., an older version of GNU awk) on a version of Unix.

Even when the Unix choices were few (e.g., BSD versus Solaris)
different version of Unix had a habit of putting their source libraries,
even their compile and make programs in different directories, especially
in networked environments. I guess there were standard installations but
the sysads decided to tweak things their own way.

It was always big fun playing the mix and match game and adjusting the
makefile to know where to look for what. Even standard files were sometimes
slightly renamed so you got the wonderful ``cant find file  XXX''.

Once you got all THAT straight, then you found out the source would only
compile with the GNU version of the compiler or linker (e.g., gcc instead
of cc), rather than the one on your Unix. And on an on. Making a program
compile, really, really was always one of the challenges of being a Unix
sysad. True, autoconfigure programs and  such have taken some of the
pain of out of this.

I used to argue that any compiled language like C, was just as
``platform independent'' and ``portable'' as object oriented code like,
Java:  That is, any source code can run on any OS, as long as you
can compile the source on that OS. In principle there were C compilers
and libraries for all the main OSes.

Java requires a real-time equivalent: the virtual Java machine or other
similar names. What's that big difference, I asked, between a local
java interpreter that must be compiled for and run on a particular
OS, and just compiling the program for that OS?

The comback, that I now really can not argue with is that the standards
for a Java Virtual machine were so tightly controlled, that any pre-
compiled java machine readable byte code, really would run on any
local java interpreter, pretty much without hassle. This simply
could not be said about compiling source code.

Still true?