> You COULD set up the machine with the SCSI drives as a rudimentary server
> running Win98/Linux in a dual-boot configuration. But what is the second
> machine running? My thinking is you could make IT the server (NT
> if you want
> the experience), and store files there via Windows networking.
> That will let
> your accomplish your goal of learning NT, while still freeing up a machine
> for Linux. Put the big drives on the server, and a smaller drive on the
> "learning" box. The server stays stable, while the learning box
> (client) is
> subject to reinstalls and experimentation with no risk to your data cache.

Ultimately I want to run linux /samba as my server so that needs to go on
the full tower that that the drives are installed in.  This tower is the
only case I have that will house 3 full height drives plus CD + floppy.  I
have another Pentium something mini tower w/ ~1.5gig that I can experiment
with NT on.

> I use a server approach, although I use Linux running Samba as my server,
> and access it via Windows 98, 2000 and Linux clients. Again, the server is
> "stable" and that's where important stuff goes. Everything else is a lab
> rat. This make doing hardware mods or software upgrades on the clients
> (family uses three Win98 desktops, plus my notebook and various
> oldies that
> I fire up occasionally) MUCH easier. Worst case, my kids' high scores get
> reset when I wipe a machine.
>
> At worst you should be out $10-20 apiece for ethernet NICs, and
> the cost of
> a cheap hub (if you don't already own one).

Have a bunch of extra nics and an smc 10/100 hub.

> At some later date you might
> want to convert the server to Linux once you're familiar enough with it.

That's the plan.  When linux is stable I will just stop booting 98.  I keep
telling myself "as long as my data is on separate drives, even if linux
crashes so hard it takes out the 2gig OS drive, I will still be able to load
up another os and get to my data on the other drives."  I hope I am not
mistaken.  If I screw up linux, could it take out data on the other drives
in the box?

Hmmm..... I think I know the real answer to that question and it's not good.
:(

> You could still set up the learning/client computer as a dual-boot
> Win98/Linux machine for the reasons you describe. Keep in mind that most
> mainstream Linux distributions will still want SOME space for a
> Linux (ext2)
> partition. 1GB is plenty, 500MB can work (as can far less). I
> wound up with
> one of those removable IDE drive bays, and a bunch of old drives, ranging
> from 100-3GB for experimentation. I just swapped them out and
> tried a bunch
> of different configs and distributions.
>
> You mention other machines. Why not get them into the act as
> well? Are they
> 386 or above CPUs?

Bob, you name it I got it.  For the last 10 years, if it was computer related and it
was getting tossed I grabed it :).  I would bet that I might even top your collection.
 386, 486, older pentiums,  a dual floppy ps2, my very first XT with a tricked out nec
v20 processor (remember those),  I even have a huge ass sun workstation with a 21"
monitor and other miscellaneous sun soft/hardware.  The thing works, I turned it on
once about a year ago. I never turned it on again.  I didn't know what to do with it
:).  That Sun is also on my list of things to learn.  I tried once to steal the sun's
monitor for a pc but it takes some kind of big special connector.

This does not include the pc's I've parted.  There are bits and pieces everywhere.
Speaking of bits and pieces everywhere.  I would really like to get rid of some of
this stuff.  Any clue on what a good working 486 box should go for?  Anyone want to
make offer on anything :).  Anything except my old xt that is.  I think it would be
really really cool to build the best, fastest, most up to date, killer PC in an old XT
case.  I can't wait to bring it into a job and watch everyone's head turn when they
hear that old familiar SNAP of an XT's power supply turning on. :
))))))))))  One day it will live again!

> > My plan now brings me back full circle to my first post on combining
> drives
> > with a slight twist.  Does anyone know a way that I could
> combine these 2
> > drives to one win 98 share?  If there is a way, will it effect linuxes
> > ability to read the drives.
>
> Under Win98, I don't think so. I *think* NT has an option to span a volume
> across partitions, but I'm not 100% sure. Under Linux, you can always get
> creative with symbolic links to make a single filesystem span multiple
> drives.

Yes, that's what I though also.  That's OK though.  It will give me more
incentive to get the linux side going faster.

>  > Thanks again guys, Everyone input helped me come to this plan.
>
> Hah! You just threw new toys into the mix. We're not through yet! :)

LOL, You are going to keep me reading and writing email when I should be
fooling with this server.

Best,
John