This is almost a survpc question, since it involves using old software
on a relatively newer OS:

In principle windows 3x programs are supposed to run on windows 9x OSes.
However, I wonder how one would go about installing an old win 3x program
on, say, windows 95? For example, I have the installation disks (floppy
ones) for a win 3x version of Framemaker. Its win 3x install program
will not know about the registry and the start up menu or directory,
but it will find win.ini and system.ini.

The biggest problem will be, it will try to create grp files for a
windows group, and expect to find progman.exe and progman.ini for that,
which it will not find. I am not even completely sure an install.exe
intended to win 3x will execute at all in win 95-- probably not since
the latter is 32-bit. I do not think it will execute in a win95 dos
box either, since win 3x programs do not run in real dos mode.

So how would one install such a program in win 9x, so it had a chance to
run?