Howard:

Roy Longbottom's PC Benchmark Collection
<http://freespace.virgin.net/roy.longbottom/>
has the standard stuff folks test on their platform.

In the long distant past I have seen serial port testing software from
folks who developed serial port based software. Seems to me an author who
used to write about serial port protocols was "campbell" and he was
located in Berkeley, CA - this was about 1988 to 1990 or so ...

John Oram