Charles,
I think other factors also come into play when you
start dealing with "alternative operating systems"
in general.  Basically, what I feel it boils down
to is this:  How many applications, such as games,
text editors, desktop publishing, web browsers and
the like are being developed for that operating system.
In my many years of tinkering with these computer
gadgets, this one factor seems to play the largest
role in determining the success or failure of a
potential operating system.  That is why DOS is still
alive and kicking, despite what MS and others would
lead people to believe.  Linux is growing in this
area also.  The list of "once upon a time" OSes is
quite large.  Perhaps this is why the Oberon project
seems to be remaining more or less a university only
type operating system.
At least you can say that you DID try it!
C U L8R!Wiz  <{;-)
Wizard57M
Glenn Gilbreath Jr.
http:[EMAIL PROTECTED]/index.htm
-- DOS Internet, Close Windows and Keep the Internet Open! --