Geez what has this list come yo with DDRRAM heatspreaders. I can hear
them 386 4MB folks falling off their three legged stools <BG>

First off which brand & what speed of 1GB 184 pin DDRRAM did you
purchase? Was it ECC Registered or probably not? Heatspreaders are
factory installed and some are a real pain to re-install if you pull
them off to look at the 184-pin DIMM - learned the hard way on this
one. I would leave it alone if it were mine.

Simplest way to take care of extra heat in your case as a rule of
thumb to get airflow from low at the front of the case towards the
power supply as the outlet fan. The science of heat flow paid my
retired buddy at Intel-Folsom over three million bucks in stock
options = so best to find a site where the folks know what they are
doing a read for awhile.

The simplest way to save money and time is use one of the ole 486 heat
sink fans and blow air across the memory and at the CPU. Should be
able to plug into one of the extra power locations for fan on your mobo.

What brand of Mobo do you have? Does your mobo Northbridge have a fan
or heat sink?

What size is your power supply? Does it have one or two fans?

The problem with blowing lots of air around in your case is NOISE and
DUST. You should really consider how your going to filter the crude
that you pull into the case.

Especially if you have humidity fluctuations and static electric
discharge problems in your area. {Northern Florida and southern
Alabama are real pills about this. Then you have Arizona and Nevada
California desert. Those are places I have had to deal with static
electric discharge. One item to watch is your indoor humidity. IF your
indoor humidity drops below 30% then you will have static electric
discharge problems - learned that one in my old AM-FM radio station
tech assisting days. Also public safety dispatchers get really nasty
when their 911 telco and radio gear goes away after a static discharge
<BG> Some folks even do a separate wire to a copper stake driven into
the ground besides copper water pipes - electric discharge, grounding,
and lighting are a combination science and best guess by an
experienced local RF or TV tech. {Sorry this is an issue we get to
play with every day.}

This web site has VERY INTERESTING info for handling your computers
heat and noise  http://www.silentpcreview.com/index.php

A parts sales company which seems to know quite a bit about heat and
noise  http://www.siliconacoustics.com/index.html

At this moment, the CPU Heat sink of choice for both cooling and low
fan noise is  Zalman CNPS7000A-CU
http://www.siliconacoustics.com/zalmancnps7000a-cu.html

Big deal for controlling heat and noise in a small office is to use
LARGE diameter fans and run them slow (less than 1500 RPM) versus the
overclockers approach of a small fan spinning very fast (over 5000 RPM).

I know your a pusher for  Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound (CPU
Grease)  which is the ONLY thing to use when your putting any heat
sink on ANY CPU. For those who has not used it do a  www.goggle.com
search and read the reviews.

FYI: I also added a 486 CPU fan to blow air across the backside of my
mobo starting airflow in the area of the CPU socket. However, that may
not work for everyone, 'cause my mobo is on one-inch brass standoffs
with nylon washers so I have extra air flow circulation room - this is
my old Banyon 386 server case which has room for six 5 1/2 inch SCSI
650 MB drives circa 1986 = pull enough voltage to light my whole house
and put off enough heat to take care of a small office in a Minnesota
winter <BG>

my $02 worth

John Oram