L.D. Best wrote:

>  [...] I know, can't be done ... <G> I finally matched up how to pull
>  in the "new" driver for the NIC, and then trash the MS idea of what
>  should be in the system.ini file, and get MS Client for DOS to
>  install the driver correctly on the right interrupt and actually
>  start the network software! [And anyone who dares to say "Is that
>  all???" had better start runnin' before openin' mouth!]

When I last used the MS DOS client (from the NT Server CD IIRC) it had a
reasonable front-end that asked the required questions for setup. TCP/IP
wasn't exactly obvious, but it was helpful. Did you use that, or edit
the files manually?

>  The 'readme' gives me all these hints about what to do with this and
>  that, but although there are files which claim to be tcp/ip stuff,
>  the tcpip setup spoken of does not exist in what MS made available
>  for its free (can you say really legacy) download.

Was/Isn't TCP/IP a separate package for the DOS client? I needed the DOS
client disks, plus an additional TCP/IP one.

>  Sooo ... do I try to bring telnet up and poll the "server" on NT so
>  it knows I exist?

That would be fine, if you're sure there's a telnet server to connect
to! Otherwise, do you have a ping utility? That's the lowest level way
to test that TCP/IP is working. Ping your own address to make sure the
stack is OK, then the router. If those work, you've got the basics up.
Then try pinging something by IP address beyond the router. If local
checks work, but that doesn't, it's a routing issue. Make sure your
default gateway is set to the router's IP address. Once that works, try
pinging your DNS server (usually your ISP's). If that works, set your
DNS settings and it should be all set.

>  Right now the router doesn't even know it, although I've got a
>  machine name, a user name, and have the software set to include the
>  system in the "workgroup" workgroup, and all that other good crap.

Does "NET VIEW" etc. work at all?

>  I don't care if the router never recognizes me, but damn I'd like it
>  if I could get the NT laptop and the XP desktop to accept my DOS
>  existance!

NT, at least, should. However, make sure TCP/IP is all working 1st!

Now, you COULD use NetBEUI instead of TCP/IP but that will limit what
you can do with the DOS machine 'net-wise, and may require adding more
stuff to the other boxen than you want.

>  [...] Thus I ask, anyone got any ideas what the next step is to
>  getting the DOS computer recognized by the other workgroup
>  machines???

ONCE you have basic ethernet and TCP/IP connectivity established, MS
networking is fairly straightforward. However, don't try doing too much
until you're sure that's all working.

If you configure all of your systems in 'workgroup' mode (peer-peer),
they should generally find each other. If one of the machines will be
'up' more than the others, you may want to set it as the browse master.
MS has some fairly good home networking guidelines for this. The
important thing is that they can ping each other. After that, it's
tweaking MS network settings.

- Bob