On Tue, Jul 04, 2006 at 06:34:00PM +0000, Pavel Machek wrote:
> I'd prefer not to apply this. It is better to just fix the kernel.
> Whitelist is for video problems, not for random kernel bugs.

I agree, I'm not about to switch to a 32-bit kernel. But giving a
warning like this could save people a lot of time. The user can still
use -f if she wants.

Couldn't you also say the same thing about NOFB? The fact that X works
after s2ram and fb doesn't indicates it's a kernel framebuffer bug,
right? Why is it s2ram's job to work around kernel framebuffer bugs, but
not kernel amd64 bugs?

I'm wondering if this is a problem related to running the video BIOS in
a 64-bit kernel. Isn't the bios we're running just some 32-bit x86
instructions read straight out of the video ROM?

I also wonder if 's2ram -s' would work better than '-p' if I fix the
segfault...

Jason