Hello,

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 03, 2006 at 03:06:00PM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Just because i have read this in the script:
>
> | # Strange Intel graphics requires this
> | # state to be saved
> | cat $VID_DEV > $VID_SAV
> | cat $VID_DEV1 > $VID_SAV1
>
> This is nothing about "strange intel graphics". The same "Strange Intel
> graphics" work just fine on other machines. So it is either something IBM
> has done wrong (probably in their BIOS) or they are doing something
> particularly clever, which the kernel does not handle correctly.

I see that I should not have blamed Intel.

My excuse: I have only this one Intel graphics IBM/Lenovo laptop to test this
on :)

> Also, i see that you are using VBE_POST|VBE_SAVE. In your report you said
> that "s2ram -f" alone brings the display back, so it looks that the vbetool
> usage on this machine is superfluous?

I'll test this a little more when I can but I recall that using the
restore from "/proc/bus/pci/00/02.0" is not enough when one is using
X. Unless one does a "vbepost" the X server dies. However, one does
not need to save the VBE state every time; saving it once in console
mode seems to be enough.

In fact, my suspend-to-ram procedure is rather fragile. Touching the
keyboard or touchpad before X has properly come up can cause freezes.
This is why I "STOP" and "CONT" X; that appeared to give more
stability but it may just be my local myth.

I should perhaps add this in a separate mail but here goes...

Suspend to disk using the user-mode-suspend seems to be working fine
on this system.

Regards,

Kapil.