On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 05:36:48PM +0200, Thomas Halva Labella wrote:
> Hi?
>
> Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Thanks for the report, i have added the suspend-devel mailinglist to Cc:
> > so some of the experts also can comment on this.
> >
> You mean 'suspend-devel@lists.sourceforge.net'? I could not find the
> actual address in your email. Before sending to some random list, I

Oops. Yes, i forgot to actually add it :-)

> answer only to you ;)
> Feel free to forward my emails, if you think they might be useful.
> > Strange. Do you really need "-a3 -s"? These are two options that
> > usually do
> > not really go well together.
> > It should either work with plain
> >   s2ram -f -a 3
> >   s2ram -f -p -s
> > or
> >   s2ram -f -s
> >
> > If it really needs -a 3 -s, then it would be interesting what type of
> > machine
> > this is (processor type, graphics card, which framebuffer is used if any).
> >
> To be honest, I just need 's2ram -f -s', but I have
> 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode' in my boot parameters. As a matter of fact:
>
> $ cat /proc/sys/kernel/acpi_video_flags
> 3
>
> I thought it would be more complete to include also '-a 3' in my
> previous email.
>
> The answer to the question "do you need both?" is: yes. (did I win
> something? :) )
>
> I was playing some time ago with vbetool while testing suspend to RAM.
> vbetool save/restore was able to switch on my video, but it showed
> garbage without the frame buffer. Things were a bit better with the

That's just normal. We do not save the content of the consoles...
With a framebuffer driver, just switching VTs once restores the previous
content, unfortunately that does not work with VGA mode since the vga
display buffer is on the video card memory which is cleared or garbled
by VBE POSTing the device.

> framebuffer, but garbage was still there. I solved adding
> 'acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode' to the boot parameters.
>
> If I do 'sleep -f' now, the video does not switch on at all.
>
> My computer is a laptop, with AMD Turion64 processor. I am running
> Debian. I am using the framebuffer, and the graphic card is a SiS M760.

I think it is pretty similar to the A7640 i have here, apart that that one
has an Athlon64. It also has a strange "-f -a1 -p -s" entry in the whitelist,
i'll have to investigate this one too.

> # lspci
> 00:00.0 Host bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 760/M760 Host (rev 03)
> 00:01.0 PCI bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SG86C202
> 00:02.0 ISA bridge: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS963 [MuTIOL
> Media IO] (rev 25)
> 00:02.1 SMBus: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS961/2 SMBus Controller
> 00:02.5 IDE interface: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 5513 [IDE]
> 00:02.6 Modem: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] AC'97 Modem Controller
> (rev a0)
> 00:02.7 Multimedia audio controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> AC'97 Sound Controller (rev a0)
> 00:03.0 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0
> Controller (rev 0f)
> 00:03.1 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 1.0
> Controller (rev 0f)
> 00:03.3 USB Controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] USB 2.0 Controller
> 00:04.0 Ethernet controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] SiS900 PCI
> Fast Ethernet (rev 91)
> 00:06.0 FireWire (IEEE 1394): Texas Instruments TSB43AB22/A
> IEEE-1394a-2000 Controller (PHY/Link)
> 00:09.0 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M1/MC1 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus
> Controller (rev 20)
> 00:09.1 CardBus bridge: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711M1/MC1 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus
> Controller (rev 20)
> 00:09.2 System peripheral: O2 Micro, Inc. OZ711Mx 4-in-1 MemoryCardBus
> Accelerator
> 00:0b.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4318 [AirForce One
> 54g] 802.11g Wireless LAN Controller (rev 02)
> 00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
> HyperTransport Technology Configuration
> 00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
> Address Map
> 00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
> DRAM Controller
> 00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] K8 [Athlon64/Opteron]
> Miscellaneous Control
> 01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS]
> 661/741/760/761 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
>
> I hope this is enough for you. I will be glad to give more details, if
> you need them.

Well, if "s2ram -f -s" is actually enough to get the light back on and just
switching consoles after resume gets you the beautiful framebuffer content
back, then i'd be glad to commit that one to the whitelist. If it does not
help, i'd prefer to first try is on the A7640 i have here and then decide
what to do.

Since i am going on vacation for two weeks, this won't happen real soon,
unfortunately.

Thanks for your patience :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried                     | "Please, just tell people
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |               to use KDE."