On Tue, Aug 15, 2006 at 11:59:30AM +0200, Pavel Machek wrote:
> Hi!
>
> > Thanks for the response.  I couldn't actually find the struct you
> > mentioned in 2.6.18-rc3 (I even grepped through the whole tree and
> > didn't find it - I am using Jason's patched but I don't think it
> > removed this).  Is in the -mm2 code?  I don't think it matters too
> > much because using s2ram -r -f seems to give me much better power
> > saving though I've had it hard-crash on resume once.
>
> Ok, never mind.
>
> > I also don't see any option in SuSE's powersave stuff to use
> > radeontool so I end up having to call it manually form the command
> > line (they support the other cmd line args to s2ram but not this as
> > far as I can tell).  Does anyone know if there is such an option?
>
> Talk to seife about that.

I will add this option to powersave. It seemed so esoteric that i left it
out initially :-)

> Actually, you may want to "simply" file a
> bug report in bugzilla.novell.com.

This will help, too :-)

> > Its actually not that easy to see the difference between using '-r'
> > and not on the screen.  When I just do s2ram -f the screen goes dark
> > as it should but if I look at it from different angles I notice that
> > there is still some ghostly text on the screen which was the last
> > output of the suspend call.  At first I thought it might just be a
> > normal fade-out effect of the screen but now I'm pretty sure it
> > corresponds to something not being powered off fully.  Using the '-r'
> > option I no longer see this 'ghost text'.  Does this sound like a
> > backlight or like something else?
>
> No, this looks like LCD powered but backlight off. I'm glad -r helps.
>
> > Is there anything you'd like me to check on this?
>
> No, I think your problems are solved.

Maybe we should also experiment with "vbetool dpms off|on" and check if
this has the same effect as radeontool. It might be more portable (and
available on !radeon machines).
--
Stefan Seyfried                     | "Please, just tell people
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |               to use KDE."