On Sun, Nov 05, 2006 at 11:41:50PM +0100, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sunday, 5 November 2006 23:17, Pavel Machek wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > > This patch adds some command line options to s2disk/s2both and resume so
> > > that
> > > they are a bit more script-friendly and sets up the infrastructure to add
> > > more
> > > such options in the future easily.
> >
> > ..and it switches to getopt()... nice, provided that it works.
>
> It works. :-)

Cool. I always wanted to do thati, but never got to it :-)

> > But maybe we should do the release, first? This is likely to break
> > some strange combinations, I'd say...
>
> It's designed not to break anything.
>
> Currently we support only one command-line option, -f, which is still
> supported with the patch and we can read the resume device file name
> from the command line (as a separate argument) which is still possible
> with the patch.

Yes, it is compatible AFAICS.
It would also spare me the evil hack i am doing now in the opensuse 10.2
pm-utils: I create a (temporary) /var/lib/s2disk.conf from some auto-
determined stuff (resume device, image size) and add the rest from
/etc/suspend.conf (defaults to "empty" modulo comments in my package).
If i can use command line options, everything will be so much easier.

Right now, command line options take precedence over the config file; we
might want to evaluate this on a per-option base (in my setup, all the
settings from /etc/suspend.conf are appended to /var/lib/s2disk.conf, so
they come last and are overriding whatever auto-detection i have done).
But I have yet to actually find a real-life problem where this matters,
i just did it that way to give the user greater control over what he
wants to do. But this can easily be solved in the wrapper scripts
(pm-utils), if i find out that it actually matters to anyone :-).
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"