On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 10:53:56AM +0100, Tim Dijkstra wrote:

> So by checking errno we can distinguish 'to old
> kernel' from 'real error'?

Yes, i think so. I have not checked all the possible cases where the
error return value is set, but i think it cannot return -ENOTTY other
than for this case:

        if (_IOC_TYPE(cmd) != SNAPSHOT_IOC_MAGIC)
                return -ENOTTY;
        if (_IOC_NR(cmd) > SNAPSHOT_IOC_MAXNR)
                return -ENOTTY;

so if we check for ENOTTY, we should be safe.

> If that is the case I would suggest
> silently falling back to shutdown for 'to old kernel'.

I still would print

suspend: falling back to shutdown mode.

so if you get a bugreport you can see that it did that, but the message
is not really scary.

> BTW, what is the first kernel with the correct code? It's not in
> 2.16.18, is it? Ah, I see they just released 2.6.19, is it in there?

I think it is (i pushed it through Andrew), but i have not checked it.
"grep SNAPSHOT_PMOPS kernel/power/power.h" should tell you :-)
--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"