On Tue, 20 Mar 2007 16:38:43 +0100
Pavel Machek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Tue 2007-03-20 11:37:36, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just noticed I have misunderstood how the machine is put in S3 for
> > s2both. I thought it would use a function from s2ram.c to do that, but
> > it seems it uses
> >     ioctl(snaptshot_fd, SNAPSHOT_S2RAM, 0);
> >
> > Just to be sure, this will probably do precisely the same thing as echo
> > 'mem > /sys/power/state', or not?
>
> Not _precisely_. It avoids running freezer because processes are
> already frozen.

OK, to get concrete, I'm investigating if we can get s2both for
powerpc.  Johannes Berg tells me that on most 32bit apple laptops 'echo
mem > /sys/power/state' does what it is supposed to. Does this mean that
ioctl(snaptshot_fd, SNAPSHOT_S2RAM, 0); will do too? I can just ask
people to try that out of course... or I could dive in the kernel code,
but asking the experts is easier;)

grts Tim