This is somewhat a follow up to Ross Petter email.

I have the same laptop as him, a U205-S5067. I also get basically the
same behavior: is I try to suspend, the screen power off very fast but
the fan start moving like there is some processing going on.

But, if I wait long enough (between 5 and 10 minutes) the system
suspends to ram and I can wake it up successfully. However this long
time seems unreasonable and it drains battery. Suspend to disk is much
faster.

I amusing an Ubuntu Feisty Fawn (7.04) system.

I am not a kernel hacker, but I have tried to add some printk as
suggested by Pavel (I haven't used udelay, I was not sure what it did
(Is there a good explanation anywhere?). I added one printk to
state_store function in main.c file (in kernel/power/ directory of
course) to make sure that the process was starting, and many in
enter_state function.

What I could see, at first, is that something was taking long while the
kernel was trying to disable the non-boot CPU. Here is the important log
snippet (mine printk start with ****):

> May  6 12:44:44 trinity kernel: [  704.412000] ****Receiving request to power
> sa
> ve: mem
> May  6 12:44:44 trinity kernel: [  704.412000] .
> May  6 12:44:44 trinity kernel: [  704.412000] **** starting enter_state.
> May  6 12:44:44 trinity kernel: [  704.412000] **** Preparing system for mem
> sle
> ep
> May  6 12:44:44 trinity kernel: [  704.416000] Disabling non-boot CPUs ...
> May  6 12:44:44 trinity kernel: [  704.552000] CPU 1 is now offline
> May  6 12:44:44 trinity kernel: [  704.552000] SMP alternatives: switching to
> UP
>  code
> May  6 12:55:00 trinity kernel: [  704.552000] CPU1 is down

You see? Something took 10 minutes between the last two lines.

I then thought that SMP was the problem. I have then disabled the second
CPU during boot using "noapic nosmp" options. But I still get the same
long wait before suspending. Moreover, something weird happens. There is
no more delay in the sequence of messages related to suspend. But the
whole sequence of messages, even the first sentence that says that the
system is calling the function state_store, is only written to the disk
when the system is waked up and not before the suspend take place. The
same thing happen if I disable the second CPU in the bios, instead of
using "noapic nosmp". What should I try now?

best,

Paulo