On Thursday, 17 May 2007 12:50, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Thu, 17 May 2007 11:59:37 +0200
> "Rafael J. Wysocki" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Thursday, 17 May 2007 00:14, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I've got an report of a laptop that works with
> > >   s2ram --vbe_save --vbe_post
> > >
> > > But doesn't for s2both with the same options.
> > >
> > > What does work however is
> > >   s2both -a 1
> > >
> > > Somehow the difference in code path in s2both is significant from that of
> > > s2ram (which basically does echo mem > /sys/..)
> > >
> > > Any ideas how to fix this?
> >
> > I'd try with 'shutdown method = shutdown', but that need not help.
>
> But that wouldn't help for s2both going into S3, would it?

I meant 's2both --vbe_save --vbe_post' might work with 'shutdown'.  It's not
very probable, but worth trying, if only to get a data point.

> > We first have to make the kernel use ACPI control methods in accordance with
> > the specification, but that will take time.
>
> Hmm, OK. So you do have an idea what is causing this? And working on it?

Well, a general idea.

The problem is that before creating the image we prepare the platform for
entering the ACPI S4 sleep state which in fact we don't enter.  Instead, we
sort of cancel the transition and prepare to enter S3.  Moreover, all these
things are done in violation of the ACPI specification to some extent and it
will take time to sort that out.

Yes, we're working on it.

Greetings,
Rafael