I sent this a year ago when there were still kernel problems:
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=200609121709.43193.cathectic%40gmail.com

I've retested, and this laptop now suspends and resumes with a vanilla
kernel (and has done for some time). To suspend/ resume successfully:

s2ram -f -p

(The -p is only required if suspending from a terminal, as X is capable of
restoring the display without it - however, the option doesn't break X, so
it's reasonably safe to unconditionally enable this quirk).

Output of s2ram --identify

Machine is unknown.
 This machine can be identified by:
 sys_vendor = "Acer"