On Wed, Jun 27, 2007 at 01:24:18PM -0300, Antonio Kanaan wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I sent the following message 10 days ago.  I have seen no reply :-(
> As I have not seen replies to most messages sent after (or even a
> little before) mine.
>
> Is this normal?  are you guys busy?  or no response just means there
> is nothing I can do for now?

I have been terribly busy the last weeks and am slowly working up my backlog.
I'll try to get better wrt. response times ;-)

Sometimes it also means that nobody has an idea on how to help you, but not
this time.

> hal:~ # s2ram -i
> This machine can be identified by:
> sys_vendor = "TOSHIBA"
> sys_product = "Satellite P15"
> sys_version = "PSP10U-0DUJPV"
> bios_version = "V1.20"
> See http://en.opensuse.org/S2ram for details.
>
> If you report a problem, please include the complete output above.
>

> I have tried s2ram on my toshiba satellite p15-s409. It almost works.
> Same with s2disk.
>
> I run suse 10.2.

Could you try a newer kernel or install FACTORY on a spare partition?
You can install additional kernels (e.g. the latest FACTORY or opensuse
10.3 Alpha kernel) with "rpm -i" instead of "rpm -U", this will give you
two kernels to choose from at boot and will keep the old kernel in case
the new one does not work.
You can of course also compile a recent vanilla or -mm kernel.

> I did what is recommended on http://en.opensuse.org/NVidia_Suspend_HOWTO:

This is rather old and i have not used an NVidia card for a long time, so
i'm not sure if this is still needed or even a good idea, or if it does
harm with recent drivers :-(

> Enable NvAGP
> Put the line
> Option "NvAGP" "1"
> in the "Device" section, after the line 'Vendor Name "NVidia"' in
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> DID IT, DOUBLE CHECKED, IT IS DONE.
>
> SUSE 10.0
>
> Find out which agp module is currently loaded by running
> # lsmod | grep agp
> Typical names are intel_agp, sis_agp, via_agp etc. Please ignore agpgart here.
> Mark this agp module as blacklisted in /etc/modprobe.conf.local. Example:
> # blacklist agp module
> blacklist intel_agp
> Note: /etc/hotplug/blacklist is still there to do the same but will be
> deprecated soon.
> [edit]
> Reboot and check
> Reboot and make sure that the agp module is no longer loaded by running
>
> DOUBLE CHECKED, IT IS DONE:
>

> Out of the box s2disk almost works by clicking on leave --> suspend to disk.
>
> I do it, it snapshots memory and goes to sleep. Turn it back on and
> the machine is back to life. Then if I do it again, it freezes before
> starting the memory snapshot.
>
> s2ram wouldn't work at all, I did some reading and realized it happens
> because my machine is not on the whitelist. I started playing with
> s2ram by hand.
>
> I did have success turning vga=0, booting with init=/bin/bash and using:
>
> s2ram -f -a 1 sucess
> s2ram -f -a 2 works only first time
> s2ram -f -a 3 works only first time
>
> using s2ram -f -a 1 I could suspend to ram as many times as I wanted.
> I tried to do it at runlevel 3, and then I had the same problems as I
> had with suspend to disk: works the first time, hangs next time.
> Always.

This actually looks like a driver problem.
Try this without the nvidia driver being loaded. If this works, the nvidia
driver is to blame. In that case, try it without the (old) workarounds from
the NVidia Suspend HOWTO, maybe the newer driver works well, but those
workarounds break it.

> A few more tests under X:
>
> running X:
>
> s2ram -f -a 1 works first time -
> second time the screen blanks
> screen backlight is on.
> ctrl-alt-f5 takes me to the console. login takes a username,
> never comes back to ask for password.
> alt-f7 takes me back to black screen with backlight on
> ctrl-alt-f5 seems to do nothing
> hard disk led light show action

It is on all the time? This might hint at a disk driver issue, and
be a hint that trying a newer kernel might be a good idea. There
have been many fixes in driver land since the 10.2 kernel.

I hope this helps and gets you a bit further...

--
Stefan Seyfried
QA / R&D Team Mobile Devices        |              "Any ideas, John?"

This footer brought to you by insane German lawmakers:
SUSE Linux Products GmbH, GF: Markus Rex, HRB 16746 (AG Nürnberg)