On Friday, 3 August 2007 00:54, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 8/3/07, Rafael J. Wysocki <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > First, please just replace LZF with LZO.  If LZF is unsupported, there's no
> > reason to drag it all the way.
>
> OK.
>
> > Second, you have added data copying in compress_compress(), which generally
> > is not desirable.  Can you avoid it?
>
> I will accept any other name...
> I am not so good with English...

Well, I didn't meen the name of the function, which also could be different
(like just "compress_page", for example), but the contents of it.
Specifically, the memcpy() in there.

> > [The long term idea is to use the compression algorithm as a "replacement"
> > for
> > memcpy().]
>
> You cannot do that... As it changes size... :)

LZF does it as well, of course, and it's taken into account in the current
code.

> I don't understand exactly what you meant here...

Please look at the code in prepare(), for example.  In there, lzf_compress() is
used to take page_size bytes of data from buf, compress them and place the
result under the address block->data, with the assumption that the size of the
result will be _less_ than page_size (otherwise, plain memcpy() is used).  I
think you should be able to do something like this with lzo1x_1_compress().

BTW, how exactly does lzo1x_1_compress() work?

Greetings,
Rafael

--
"Premature optimization is the root of all evil." - Donald Knuth