On Tue 2007-08-14 23:07:56, Alon Bar-Lev wrote:
> On 8/14/07, Pavel Machek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I'd like to commit
> >
> > Suspend encryption
> > ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
> >
> > Encryption in suspend.sf.net uses RSA internally; reason is that we
> > want to only prompt for passphrase on resume. So, during suspend,
> > image is effectively encrypted with public key, and during resume,
> > user has to first decrypt private key using passphrase, which then
> > decrypts the image.
> >
> > as a README.encryption . Ok? Any improvements?
> >                                                                 Pavel
>
> Hello Pavel,
>
> The documentation is OK, but:
>
> I think that adding the PK logic into suspend is an overkill...
> Best to support only symmetric operations, and load symmetric key from
> a file/handle as losetup does.
> This allows integration with gpg or smartcard based storage.

With symetric-operations only -- how do you set it up in a way that
passphrase is only needed during resume, not during boot or bootup?

> A sample of implementation can be found at:
> http://wiki.tuxonice.net/EncryptedSwapAndRoot

Yep, seen that. I don't get the "integrity verification". When I
tamper with your system, why don't I make it to always report
"integrity ok"?
                                                                Pavel

(cesky, pictures)
http://atrey.karlin.mff.cuni.cz/~pavel/picture/horses/blog.html