From: Keith Addison <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

There's a report on Floyd Butterfield's fuel alcohol plant (see
below, from the FAQ) in the Files section of the list Website. You'll
have to sign in first because the Files section is for members-only
access:
http://www.onelist.com/mygroups/

I'm sorry if you find signing in a bit of a nuisance, but we'll use
the Files section to give list members access to "fair use" documents
- copyright material that's out of print - and this is the only way
we can do it that we can think of. It has to be restricted.

The document is in two different formats, Word 6 and rtf. If you have
trouble with these please let me know and I'll try something else.

The FAQ is also in the Files section, as well as on our website, at:
http://jtforever.org/ethanol_faq.html

Q. The part of the process that concerns me is the mashing and
fermentation. Is there any way to simplify or automate these stages?

The California Department of Agriculture ran a still-building
competion a few years back and awarded a prize to Floyd S.
Butterfield, a farmer who automated pretty much the whole process. He
used sludge pumps to circulate the mash during the fermentation and
also the cooking processes, which keeps the solids from stacking up
at the bottom of the cooker and burning during the process of boiling
(cooking) the mash to create the steam vapors you are feeding into
the still.

We'll upload a detailed report on the design and performance of Mr
Butterfield's process to the Files section of the list website within
a couple of days (25-3-00).

There are lots of books about commercial alcohol production, but you
may have to go to an agricultural university library to find them.
The enology (wine making) department at Univ. Calif. Davis is a world
leader in the field and has extensive resources on ethanol
production, as does the California Department of Agriculture.

http://www.onelist.com/mygroups/

Get paid for the stuff you know!
Get answers for the stuff you don’t. And get $10 to spend on the site!
http://click.egroups.com/1/2595/2/_/_/_/954005614/