Evil ethanol barons! - Keith

Tom Robertson wrote in energyresources list, response cc'd to bioenergy
list, nefr-list, and alt.forestry:

> Folks:
>
> When it comes to the question of "who controls the energy
> companies" you may find the following article of interest:
>
> Lugar, R., Woolsey, R.J. The new petroleum. Foreign Affairs.
> 78:88 (1999).

Did I call this one or what?  See
http://www.daviesand.com/Perspectives/Forest_Products/Ethanol/

These guys want to turn our forests into ethanol for SUVs!  BTW, former
CIA director Jim Woolsey is now a director of BCI Corporation, which owns
the patents for many of the new biomass to ethanol technologies.  "Dick"
Lugar is a US Senator from Indiana, where they grow a LOT of corn.  "Dick"
is a wholly owned subsidiary of Archer-Daniels-Midland, which is also very
much into ethanol.

Tom, thanks for the heads-up!

KD

> THE NEW PETROLEUM Richard G. Lugar and R. James Woolsey
> America's addiction to Middle Eastern oil forces dangerous
> foreign policy compromises, worsens global warming, and
> strengthens unreliable Persian Gulf countries. Instead, the
> United States should get its energy from biomass ethanol, a new
> fuel that can be produced at home from almost any type of plant
> or even from agricultural waste. Ethanol is environmentally
> friendly, compatible with the U.S. transportation system, and as
> potent a fuel as gasoline. Recent scientific breakthroughs have
> sharply lowered its production cost. Now Washington must step in
> with tax breaks and other incentives to encourage further
> research and development into this homegrown alternative to a
> dangerous dependence.
>
> Anyone know who Lugar and Woolsey are?
>
> Poor Archer, Daniels, Midland! They are trying so hard to feed
> all the poor people in the world.
>
> Tom Robertson
>
> Your message didn't show up on the list? See http://dieoff.com/FAQ.htm

eLerts