Ok, I have read a great deal of the ethanol from cellulose material.
Was hoping there are some real experts out there to help me evaluate
some of my data.  I have access to a great deal of material for
little or no cost.  Was considering trying to covnert some of it to
ethanol and use some to fuel my still.  Figure I have just cut the
two main cost factors to essentially zero.

I have had samples of three different materials analyzed.  Here are
the results:

Sample #1 Lignin 0.2%, Cellulose 9.5%
Sample #2 Lignin 4.6%, Cellulose 13.2%
Sample #3 Lignin 7.5%, Cellulose 27.8%

I can pretty much get many truckloads per day of this material for
free (with very low transport costs) - especially samples #2 & #3.

There is no starch or sugars present in this material - I am getting
hemicellulose run now.

Should I look at anything else?  Is this worth pursuing?  Is it
totally nonviable for ethanol production on the moderate scale?  I
have talked to some people who say the rule of thumb is 50%
efficiency when converting from cellulose to glucose and 50%
efficiency glucose to alcohol.  That would mean (if I did my math
right) that 1 cu.yd. of material would make about 5 gallons of
ethanol (for sample #1).  Does this sound right to you all?

Thanks for your advise.

Eric Deaver

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/2/_/837408/_/973706649/