Sent: Friday, November 10, 2000 7:43 AM
Subject: Re: [biofuel] manure-digester

Hi there,

The info is great Stephen, I have a question you may have an answer for. How do I separate the CO2 from the methane, in an inexpensive manner? My goal is about 98% methangas...any ideas? Does anyone know of any supplier of compressors capable of 3000psi or so? I would like to clean the gas, compress it and run a vehicle from it. I have found used tanks and such good for 3600 psi.

Sincerely, Rolf Forslund

stephen lakios wrote:

I can throw out some loose figures for a cubic yard of manure.Without knowing the urine content and how much carbon in the form of straw-cellulistic materials are involved, they will be ballpark figures only.It seems to me the manure would be better utilized in a digester.A cubic yard would approach one ton, depending on liquid content-higher,or straw content-lower.The amount of methane production depends on many factors. But raw manure will produce less methane, than a manure-cellulose mix.Say we have 1,800 lbs of manure, straw,and waste feed in unknown proportions,but mostly manure. This would have about 300 lbs of volatile solids.At 2.5 cubic feet of methane per lb of vs =750 cubic feet of methane or about 1,500 cubic feet of biogas, which can be burned directly.Fuel value of methane is about 1,000 btu's per cubic ft. Biogas is about 600 btu's per cubic ft.Depending on who's chart you read.Also the methane content of vs is highly variable.Ranging from .8 for raw cattle manure, to 5 for a mix of 1/3 chicken manure,and 2/3 paper pulp.And the biogas content is even more variable.It is impossible to arrive at firm figures, you will not know untill you try each mixture.I belive a manure-cellulose mix is best used to produce biogas or methane.If it were a large operation you could compress the CO2 for sale,bottle and sell the spent slurry,dry the sludge,bag and sell it or use as fuel.And you are still getting the gas.Stephen

eGroups Sponsor