with 50 bucks you can get the parts for a homemade servo/stepper valve, a microcontroller with a temperature probe and an output to a servo via pwm, or a stepper chip. a stepper is better if the valve has more than 180 degrees of travel for full operation. put the probe in the top of the column, when the temp shifts it just adjusts the valve a little. with a digital servo you can get about 1024 discrete settings, with a stepper you can just add the required gears and get 1024 discrete steps per degree of final motion, 180*1024 positions. it's not as easy as just sticking a valve in and starting the fire, because you have to set an initial position for each one, just so the valve doesn't stick. $50? a PIC $8us, stepper chip $20us, steeper motor $10us or large scale model servo $20us, gears for the stepper $5 not needed with servo, a cheap potable water valve under $5. Keith Addison wrote: > > when i sent the info on the penn bradshaw valve for the charles 803 > >i perhaps forgot to mention the fact the johnstone supply is a > >wholesale supply house for refrigeration mechanics. his perhaps will > >make a difference on the final price, but i am sure most can work > >around that. > > in regards to the valve itself i knew what the valve was when i read > > >of it on the site info. i therefore bought and installed one on the > >stillmaker unit i put together while waiting for the 803 plans. i > >suppose i do not need to tell you how simple the addition of this > >valve made the unit to operate. > > the addition of this and a three inch diameter mechanical > >thermometer and a two inch thermometer on the boiler gives one a lot > >more control over what is transpiring within the system. > > Will you also try operating the 803 without the valve? That would be > very useful for people who've bought the plans but can't afford the > valve. I do have some instructions on manual operation, I can send > them to you if you like. > > > as i continue on with the 803 i will add a pressure gauge to the > >topof the unit before i initially fire it up. ignorance is not always > > >bliss. > > And maybe a pressure release valve too? Do you have a pressure > release valve on the boiler? > > > one other point about the 803. being familiar with soldering larger > >pipes in refrigeration systems, i used silver solder on every joint > >which is much easier to use with higher temps, and also creates a > >much stronger unit when finished. 15% silfos is what i recommend. not > > >too expensive either and easy to use with a little practice. thanks > >again. > > Thanks to you, and best of luck with the still > > Keith Addison > Journey to Forever > Handmade Projects > Tokyo > http://journeytoforever.org/ > > > > > eGroups Sponsor [click here] > > Biofuel at Journey to Forever: > http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel.html > To unsubscribe, send an email to: > [EMAIL PROTECTED] with 50 bucks you can get the parts for a homemade servo/stepper valve, a microcontroller with a temperature probe and an output to a servo via pwm, or a stepper chip.  a stepper is better if the valve has more than 180 degrees of travel for full operation.  put the probe in the top of the column, when the temp shifts it just adjusts the valve a little.  with a digital servo you can get about 1024 discrete settings, with a stepper you can just add the required gears and get 1024 discrete steps per degree of final motion, 180*1024 positions.  it's not as easy as just sticking a valve in and starting the fire, because you have to set an initial position for each one, just so the valve doesn't stick.

Keith Addison wrote:

> when i sent the info on the penn bradshaw valve for the charles 803
>i perhaps forgot to mention the fact the johnstone supply is a
>wholesale supply house for refrigeration mechanics. his perhaps will
>make a difference on the final price, but i am sure most can work
>around that.
> in regards to the valve itself i knew what the valve was when i read
>of it on the site info. i therefore bought and installed one on the
>stillmaker unit i put together while waiting for the 803 plans. i
>suppose i do not need to tell you how simple the addition of this
>valve made the unit to operate.
> the addition of this and a three inch diameter mechanical
>thermometer and a two inch thermometer on the boiler gives one a lot
>more control over what is transpiring within the system.

Will you also try operating the 803 without the valve? That would be
very useful for people who've bought the plans but can't afford the
valve. I do have some instructions on manual operation, I can send
them to you if you like.

> as i continue on with the 803 i will add a pressure gauge to the
>topof the unit before i initially fire it up. ignorance is not always
>bliss.

And maybe a pressure release valve too? Do you have a pressure
release valve on the boiler?

> one other point about the 803. being familiar with soldering larger
>pipes in refrigeration systems, i used silver solder on every joint
>which is much easier to use with higher temps, and also creates a
>much stronger unit when finished. 15% silfos is what i recommend. not
>too expensive either and easy to use with a little practice. thanks
>again.

Thanks to you, and best of luck with the still

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

Related: :Handmade:C-\WINDOWS\TEMP\nsmailI9.gif:0005447F:7DF97DA8:00000000:00000000