From Dave Elliott (Dave UK):

Acid catalysis

FFA can probably be acid catalysed. I've not tried this, but the basic recipe
has been looked at by an analytical chemist who thinks it should work.

Acid catalysis is a water tolerant process. Use 10% methanol mixed
with 2% to 3%
concentrated sulphuric acid (or double that of 50% acid). Mix with the oil and
stir regularly for at least 24 hours. Then leave to settle. Conversion rate is
often poor (like 50%), but it is using a material that otherwise can't be made
into biodiesel. Ester should rise to the top of tank. It may work with less
nasty acids, but we have to begin somewhere. Acetic and citric may be too weak.
Phosphoric may be OK.

Nice if someone gave it a try. An alternative to this:

Dealing with high levels of Free Fatty Acids (FFA): first stage
alkaline reaction, second stage acid-based reaction -- "Cost
Reduction in Bio-Diesel Production", B. Rice, A. Fršhlich and R.
Leonard, Crops Research Centre, Oak Park, Carlow, Ireland.
http://www.teagasc.ie/research/reports/crops/4321/eopr-4321.htm

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects