Hi, I'm new to this ethanol thing but have been reading this group for a
while. I have a few things I would like to know.

With the reflux still like the stillmaker I understand the top of the still
has to be kept at 178degF.
I am an electronics engineer and my company manufactures all sorts of
automated controls using inexpensive PIC microcontrollers.

My thoughts on keeping the teperature at 178Deg could be done like this, and
please let me know if this is workable and if so I will build the device to
do it.

Use a 24volt sprinkler system valve, they are ON/OFF and controlled by a 24V
signal. A processor could monitor the temp in the top of the column and at
>178 it would open the valve and let cold water into the cooling coil. you
could regulate the flow of water manually and keep it at a slow pace and let
the computer do the rest.
The only thing I need to know is where would the temp sensor go? how far up
the column? would the temp sensor actually touch the cooling coils or would
it be better to just measure the air temp?

Thanks

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/837408/_/977264150/