Hi Thomas

>Hey, just a thought, but since it appears that the most readily
>produceable biofuel is methane from digesters, maybe this bears more
>discussion.

You won't say that when your digester leaks some air and explodes,
and the, um, feedstock hits the fan! I'm not so sure it's the most
readily produceable biofuel, I think it's quite troublesome. IMHO
both biodiesel and ethanol would be simpler, if it came to a choice
and all things were equal (which they seldom are). A good combination
might be to use biogas for energy in producing biodiesel or ethanol
for fuel. Biogas as mobile fuel has its problems. See the excerpt
below from Peter-John Meynell's book "Methane - Planning a Digestor".

I'm right with you that biogas needs more discussion on the list,
there's been very little, and it certainly qualifies. Stephen Lakios
knows a lot about biogas, what do you think Stephen? Anyone else?

We don't talk much about woodgas either (producer gas). Nor about
using straight vegetable oil as diesel fuel.

>Exactly how difficult/expensive is it to compress methane
>to the point where it could be used with standard propane fuel systems?
>Isn't propane/butane a mixture of biogasses?  I don't know, but it seems
>that even if a compression system was relatively expensive, the
>potential foruse of waste materials for feedstock may make it
>worthwhile, and avoid the "there's not enough food for people, how can
>we use it for fuel?" argument, which is the one I hear most frequently
>talking to people about biofuels.

I think many or most of us are using wastes - WVO for biodiesel or
any number of wastes for ethanol. If we didn't use them they'd either
foul up the landfills and/or the water systems, or just go to waste
(eg windfall fruit in a pigless orchard). Optimising waste-use could
produce immense amounts of energy with zero loss to anyone and great
gain to everyone in environmental improvements, apart from more
diversified energy supply and lower fossil-fuel use.

Anyway, it's nonsense that there's not enough food for everyone,
there's more than enough. The extract from Food First's The Myth of
Scarcity below should help you counter that argument.

>(I think it's mostly
>politics/profiteering myself, but hey...)

Right.

>     Anyway, happy holidays to everyone on the list and good luck with
>your endeavors this year.  Who knows, maybe this will be our
>millenium:-)

I think it had better be, if there's going to be one! Happy holiday to you too.

Best wishes

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

>Sincerely,
>Thomas Jumper

 From The Myth of Scarcity
http://www.foodfirst.org/pubs/backgrdrs/1998/w98v5n1.html

The world today produces enough grain alone to provide every human
being on the planet with 3,500 calories a day. That's enough to make
most people fat! And this estimate does not even count many other
commonly eaten foods - vegetables, beans, nuts, root crops, fruits,
grass-fed meats, and fish. In fact, if all foods are considered
together, enough is available to provide at least 4.3 pounds of food
per person a day. That includes two and half pounds of grain, beans
and nuts, about a pound of fruits and vegetables, and nearly another
pound of meat, milk and eggs.

Abundance, not scarcity, best describes the supply of food in the
world today. Increases in food production during the past 35 years
have outstripped the world's unprecedented population growth by about
16 percent. Indeed, mountains of unsold grain on world markets have
pushed prices strongly downward over the past three and a half
decades. Grain prices rose briefly during the early 1990s, as bad
weather coincided with policies geared toward reducing
overproduction, but still remained well below the highs observed in
the early sixties and mid-seventies. All well and good for the global
picture, you might be thinking, but doesn't such a broad stroke tell
us little? Aren't most of the world's hungry living in countries with
food shortages - countries in Latin America, in Asia, and especially
in Africa?

Hunger in the face of ample food is all the more shocking in the
Third World. According to the Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO)
of the United Nations, gains in food production since 1950 have kept
ahead of population growth in every region except Africa. The
American Association for the Advancement of Science (AAAS) found in a
1997 study that 78% of all malnourished children under five in the
developing world live in countries with food surpluses.

Thus, even most "hungry countries" have enough food for all their
people right now. This finding turns out to be true using official
statistics even though experts warn us that newly modernizing
societies invariably underestimate farm production - just as a
century ago at least a third of the U.S. wheat crop went uncounted.
Moreover, many nations can't realize their full food production
potential because of the gross inefficiencies caused by inequitable
ownership of resources.

Finally, many of the countries in which hunger is rampant export much
more in agricultural goods than they import. Northern countries are
the main food importers, their purchases representing 71.2 percent of
the total value of food items imported in the world in 1992. Imports
by the 30 lowest-income countries, on the other hand, accounted for
only 5.2 percent of all international commerce in food and farm
commodities.

 From "Methane - Planning a Digestor", Peter-John Meynell, 2nd
edition, 1982, Prism Press, Dorchester, UK, ISBN 0 907061 15 X

Where electricity is the required form of energy (and this is
becoming increasingly common) the cost of methane generated
electricity compares favourably with the mains supply. Such a
situation is only practicable when enough gas is produced to warrant
semi-continuous operation of the generator.

For generators and stationary engines biogas does not need to be
compressed, since the gas can be piped direct to the engine. Normal
gas consumption is about 16 cubic feet (450 litres) per horse power
per hour. However, for automobiles and mobile engines the gas is
normally bottled so as to minimise storage space, although Imhoff
gives examples of cars and tractors carrying large collapsible bags
on the roof.

Methane or biogas does not liquefy very easily (its critical
temperature and pressure being -82.5 deg C (-116.5 deg F) and 45.8
atmospheres), so that it is not so simple to compress and bottle as
some of the other gases, such as propane or butane. In large
installations the gas can be compressed to about 350 atmospheres
(5000 psi) and stored in special containers. From here it would be
transferred to the smaller pressure vessels carried by cars or
tractors at about 200 atmospheres (2800 psi). For smaller
installations direct filling of the pressure vessels between
2000-3000 psi will be adequate. A typical container size would be
about 5 foot long by 9 inches diameter (1.6 m x 0.27m in diameter),
capacity 1.9 cubic feet (54 litres) and weigh about 140 lb (63 Kg).
This would hold the equivalent of 420 cubic feet of uncompressed
methane, which is comparable to about 3-1/2 gallons of petrol (15.9
litres). Coulthard in Australia uses two 280 lb (127 Kg) gas bottles,
with gas at 2000 psi; his car has a range of 100 miles (160 Km).
However, not only does the storage of the gas occupy three to four
times the space that petrol does, but also the weight of the
cylinders considerably adds to the overall payload of the vehicle.
Coulthard has to have a spring fitted under the rear end of the car
to compensate for the extra weight of the gas containers. Obviously
if you decide to convert your car to run on biogas, the amount of
compression and weight of the cylinders will reflect on the
alterations to the car and the average length of journey in between
filling up. Running a car on biogas becomes a little more worthwhile
for short, local trips, when you can fill up with gas frequently (at
least daily). Unless the situation changes, your digester will be
your only 'filling station' for miles.

There are also inefficiencies in the compression of the gas: it will
use up energy (at about 25% efficiency), and as a fuel for the engine
the compressed gas will again burn at about 25% efficiency. The
actual useful work when gas provides the power for mobile engines
must be lower than any other use. Nevertheless, it has been done
successfully on a number of occasions - probably the most ingenious
and large-scale. operations of this sort were the powering of fleets
of sewage-works vehicles during the war. The advantage such fleets
have over casual users of sludge gas is that the vehicles are
confined to one location and pass the fuel store often enough to fill
up whenever necessary. Agricultural tractors confined to a farm would
be in a similar situation. Yet besides the inefficiencies in this use
of the gas, there could be problems arising from its compression,
since it involves extra handling and further possible risks of
explosion. A Home Office licence has to be obtained in order to store
methane in the liquid state (but it is very rarely necessary to
compress it that far).

The use chosen for the gas will depend upon the needs of each
situation. The domestic uses are obvious and can be applied directly.
In the case of autonomous houses biogas represents a supplementary
fuel. It is obvious that the wastes from a small number of people,
without any livestock, can not produce enough gas to perform any of
the principal tasks outlined above - the waste from ten people might
produce enough methane to keep a gas ring alight for one hour a day.

In a rural or semi-rural situation the position is different, for not
only can the waste from the humans be used (with only a small flush
of water to prevent over-dilution), but animal and vegetable wastes
could provide the main bulk of organic matter for digestion, so that
cooking or water heating can be carried out on a reasonable scale.
Some designs which incorporate the digester within the house itself
are potentially dangerous and invite the half-serious question of
what happens when a lighted match is dropped down the lavatory? In
all cases the digester and gas holder should be situated apart from
other buildings.

Refs

L.J. Fry, Methane digesters for fuel, gas and fertilisers. (1973)
Karl Imhoff, Muller and Thistlethwaite, Disposal of sewage and other
waterborne wastes, Butterworths. (1966)
J. Coulthard, Sanamatic Tanks, Australia

eLerts
http://click.egroups.com/1/9699/0/_/837408/_/977723313/