John,

I'll start by saying that I find people named John naturally handsome
and intelligent.

Although I appreciate your response, here's what the boys on the John
Deere list have to say:

"Older tractors were designed for All Fuel. Which means they were
started on gas "small Tank", and after warmed up they were switched
over to the "large Tank" which could have gas, kerosene, diesel,
ethanol, or a homemade brew. Gas was expensive in those days so it
was not easily afforded by most farmers to burn all the time. It was
practically impossible to start a cold gas engine on all fuel of your
choice, because of the low octane "ignition point", so they would
have a small tank of gas which was higher in octane and easier to
start, then after the tractor was warm it was switched over and then
it could burn the all fuel. All though you always needed to run the
carb dry or switch it back over to gas before shutting it off so you
could start it again next time. Hope this helps. Bill {Antique
Acres}"

So I suspect that these things will run on anything that burns and is
liquid. Will just have to try it and see. I'll report the results for
the benefit of the list.

JV