>Ed B. said in reply to Dick Carlstein:
> >Excellent post. Now you also have my attention on the fogger. I'll look at
> >the archives.
> >
> >Thanks
>
>I fully agree, and find Dick's perceptions to be acutely sensible. A
>fogger just got added to my to-do list. Dick, I am not familiar with
>your word "agroafforestation". Please define.
>--
>...Warren Rekow

Good way to grow biofuels. Good way to grow anything. Agroforestry
resources below.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

http://journeytoforever.org/farm_tree.html
Farming with trees

"Agroforestry is possibly the most self-sustaining and ecologically
sound of any agricultural system." -- Dr. Franklin W. Martin,
"Agroforestry Principles", ECHO Technical Note, 1992

Agroforestry

Agroforestry integrates trees with farming, such as lines of trees
with crops growing between them (alley cropping), hedgerows, living
fences, windbreaks, pasture trees, woodlots, and many other farming
patterns.

There's nothing new about it -- it only seems new because modern
industrialized farming ("commodity extraction" rather than farming)
has veered so far from true farming practises. The heavy machines and
single-crop production lines are tree-unfriendly.

Previously, many traditional farming systems all over the world
integrated trees with crops and livestock, and many continue to do
so. The traditional European mixed farm with its crop and livestock
rotations over the land was alive with trees, in hedgerows, pastures
and woodlots, lining lanes, around homesteads. Such farms are still
to be found in many parts of Europe.

Now agroforestry is perhaps the fastest growing sector of the
sustainable farming movement, in both the developed countries and the
Third World.

Agroforestry increases biodiversity, supports wildlife, provides
firewood, fertilizer, forage, food and more, improves the soil,
improves the water, benefits the farmers, benefits everyone.

Overstory #7: Agroforestry (free on-line journal focusing on trees
and crops in agroforestry) -- "Agroforestry: A way of farming that
can work for everyone"
"There is growing concern throughout the world about the loss of
species diversity. Much of the destruction has taken place to make
room for human agriculture, particularly pastures, plantations, and
other monocultures. Agroforestry systems increase species diversity
within farming systems, providing for human needs while supporting
wildlife, soil microorganisms, rural communities, farmers, economic
interests, watersheds, clean air concerns, biodiversity, and more."
Online:
http://www.agroforester.com/overstory/overstory7.html

agroforester.com -- Resource for Tropical Forestry and Agroforestry,
based in Hawaii -- Publishes the Overstory free email journal for
agroforesters, gardeners and others. Back issues online. Forest
management plans, agroforestry plans, tree seedlings, tree seeds and
plant inoculants (mycorrhiza and rhizobium), training and education
workshops. Free publications: Nitrogen Fixing Tree Start-up Guide,
Guide to Orchard Alley Cropping, Multipurpose Windbreaks,
Multipurpose Palms, Forest Technology Bulletins, Sheet Mulching,
more. Agroforestry links. Site search.
http://www.agroforester.com/

"Agroforestry Principles" by Dr. Franklin W. Martin & Scott Sherman,
1992, ECHO Technical Note -- "Agroforestry is the production of trees
and of non-tree crops or animals on the same piece of land. This
system of land management is possibly the most self-sustaining and
ecologically sound of any agricultural system. Agroforestry systems
make maximum use of the land. Every part of the land is considered
suitable for plants that are useful. Agroforestry is designed to
produce a range of benefits including food, feed, fuels, often
fibers, and usually renewed soil fertility. It takes advantage of
trees for many uses, to hold the soil, to increase fertility through
nitrogen fixation, or through bringing minerals from deep in the soil
and depositing them by leaf-fall, to provide shade, construction
materials, foods and fuel." Online (Acrobat file):
http://www.echonet.org/tropicalag/technotes/Agrofore.PDF

"Multipurpose Trees", Chapter 4 of "Amaranth to Zai Holes: ideas for
growing food under difficult conditions" by ECHO (Educational
Concerns for Hunger Organization). An updated compilation of 15 years
of the quarterly technical bulletin ECHO Development Notes in book
form, online version -- a treasurehouse of practical information for
and from the field. This chapter covers Trees in agricultural
systems, Multipurpose trees, Fruit and nut species, Working with
trees. Excellent resource.
http://www.echonet.org/tropicalag/aztext/azch4.htm

Association for Temperate Agroforestry -- "Agroforestry practises are
intentional combinations of trees with crops and/or livestock which
involve intensive management of the interactions between the
components as an integrated agroecosystem." Alley cropping,
windbreaks, riparian buffer strips, silvopasture and forest farming.
Agroforestry articles online, links and resources. Publishes the
Temperate Agroforester quarterly newsletter -- articles about
agroforestry research, demonstration, education, public policy, and
government programs, news, events, new publications, Internet
resources, networking. Back issue index of articles, order online.
http://web.missouri.edu/~afta/

"Agroforestry", Agrodok No. 16, Agrodok Publications, Agromisa
Foundation, 1994, ISBN 90-72746-54-6
Useful guide to agroforestry, offering a variety of options for
improving land use. For both humid and arid tropical areas. Describes
five methods of agroforestry tree management: living fences,
shelterbelts, alley cropping, improved fallow, home gardens. A
chapter on extension gives an idea of the farmer's role and provides
support for the design and planning of extension activities.
Extensive discussion of the practical implications of agroforestry.
Bibliography, glossary and address list of relevant research
stations, list of over 300 tree species, per continent, with
scientific, English, French and Spanish names. Order from Agromisa:
http://www.antenna.nl/~agromisa/agrodok/ad10.html

"Agroforestry Overview" -- One of the excellent Technical Notes from
Appropriate Technology Transfer for Rural Areas (ATTRA) in the US.
"Agroforestry is a farming system that integrates annual crops and/or
livestock with long-term tree crops. The resulting biological
interactions provide multiple benefits, including diversified income
sources, increased biological production, better water quality, and
improved habitat for both wildlife and humans. Farmers adopt
agroforestry practises for two reasons. They want to increase their
economic stability and they want to improve their management of
natural resources under their care." Clear and thorough treatment,
good references, resources and links. Online:
http://www.attra.org/attra-pub/agroforestry.html

FACT Net was an international network of community groups,
development workers, tree breeders, researchers, students, and
farmers, with 2,000 partners in 100 countries devoted to the use of
multipurpose trees to improve the soil, protect the environment, and
enhance the well-being of farm families and other land users.
Originally the Nitrogen Fixing Tree Association (NFTA), which
provided the skills and resources necessary to use nitrogen fixing
trees for sustainable agriculture and environmental protection to
thousands of people worldwide. FACT Net closed in 1999 after nearly
20 years, the web site is maintained as an on-line resource and for
ordering FACT Net publications. FACT Net News online (up to September
1999), large online collection of FACT sheets on multipurpose trees,
research reports, field manuals, seed sources, resources and links,
Agroforestry Practises Slide Show (20 slides, with explanatory notes).
http://www.winrock.org/forestry/factnet.htm

USDA National Agroforestry Center -- A partnership of the USDA Forest
Service, Rocky Mountain Research Station and the USDA Natural
Resources Conversation Service to promote agroforestry development.
Technology Transfer & Applications, Research & Development,
International Technology Exchange. Publications, information and
resources.
http://www.unl.edu/nac/
"About Agroforestry" has sets of links to useful fact sheets,
how-to's, references and agroforestry resources in the US (temperate
agroforestry): Windbreaks, Riparian Forest Buffers, Alley Cropping,
Silvopasture, Forest Farming, Special Applications.
http://www.unl.edu/nac/agroforestry.html

"Forest Farming: Towards a solution to problems of world hunger and
conservation" by J. Sholto Douglas & Robert de J. Hart, Rodale Press,
1978, Intermediate Technology Publications, 1984, ISBN 0946688303
The integration of tree and other farming establishes a sounder
ecological balance and greater productivity of food and materials for
clothing, fuel and shelter. Only 8-10% of the world's surface is
currently used for food production, but planting of crop-yielding
trees could raise that figure to 75%. The book suggests planting and
cropping methods and a range of potentially useful trees. Foreword by
Fritz Schumacher ("Small is Beautiful"). From IT Publications:
http://www.developmentbookshop.com/
book.phtml?isbn=0946688303
 From ECHO's global bookstore:
http://echonet.org/shopsite_sc/store/html/product42.html

"Live Fences" by Stefan D. Cherry & Erick C.M. Fernandes, Dept. of
Soil, Crop & Atmospheric Sciences, Cornell University --
Resource-poor food crop farmers can't afford barbed wire for fences,
and more and more farmers are using trees and shrubs to form dense,
often thorny, hedges to protect their crops. These live fences
control the movement of animals and people, and provide many extra
benefits you don't get from barbed wire: fuelwood, fodder and food,
wind breaks, soil enrichment and more, depending on the species.
Online:
http://ppathw3.cals.cornell.edu/mba_project/livefence.html
See also Live Fences, Overstory #38 (free on-line journal focusing on
trees and crops in agroforestry)
http://www.agroforester.com/overstory/overstory38.html

"The Living Fence -- Its Role on the Small Farm" by Dr. Franklin W.
Martin, 1991, ECHO Technical Note -- Small farms need fences, and
fences of living poles reduce costs, last much longer and have many
benefits. They are widely used in a wide range of ecological
situations, from very dry to rain forest conditions. Suitable plant
materials are available for almost all ecological conditions. Other
benefits: firewood, fertilizer, feed, food, fibers, shade,
construction materials, medicines, windbreaks. Includes tables of
species suitable for living fences. Online (Acrobat file):
http://www.echonet.org/tropicalag/technotes/LivingFe.PDF