In MN quite a few fuel oil tanks for home heating are
in home basements since it sometimes gets cold enough
to gel fuel oil in the dead of winter. It would seem
to me that Biodeisel would be even safer than fuel oil
to store indoors. Our group has been looking into
converting fuel oil furnaces to filtered, dewatered
WVO and even at "room" temperture this gels. The
proposed solution to this is to insulate the tank and
install a heater element from an electric water heater
and a thermostat to keep the WVO from gelling.
Installation would be close to the tank outlet to most
effeciently use the small amount of electricity needed
to keep the WVO flowing and the thermostat would be
set at just above the "cloud" temperature. A self
regulating heat tape of the type used to prevent water
line freeze up would be used to heat the line running
from the tank to the furnace. Cost of this
modification of fuel oil tanks should be about $60us,
less if you can salvage from discarded water heater.

This may be useful for those who are unable or
unwilling to have a tank of Biodeisel inside thier
home for central heating oil.

One of our members is also considering using the
glycerine component of BD production as home heating
fuel and so will need to have this type of setup to
keep it liquid. He has no room in his basement for the
tanks and so is planning on building an insulated
"shed" on the side of his home large enough for a 500
gallon tank. He has chosen as his "project" to try
modifying a standard fuel oil furnace "gun" to work
with the Glycerine component of BD production.

Does anyone have any pointers having done this
themselves. Theorys?

thanks
Dana