"Dr. Gary Nelson" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The rotor of the generator in CLearwater must be at least 30
> feet tall.
>
> It would turn slowly in low wind. I never tried to find out
> who oned it or how much power it generated. But it was
> certainly quite.

That was the windmill on the St. Petersburg Times building in
Clearwater.

It was a 3 stage, 3 blade eggbeater.

That windmill was problematic.  They never ran it for more than a few
hours without it breaking down.  The shaft was so long and generated so
much tortional vibration that it ate up transmissions.  Whoever
engineered it just didn't think about tortional vibration.  If the
builders had put a viscous coupling between that long central shaft and
the main transmission it would have lost some of its efficiency, but it
would not have been breaking gears either.

Unfortunately, the last time I saw it the rotor had been permanently
locked in place, and the whole thing was nothing more than a piece of
modern art.  A monument to a good idea underengineered.

--
Aviation is more than a hobby.  It is more than a job.  It is more than
a career.  Aviation is a way of life.