> I understand from a friend who works for Central Soya in Illinois that
they
> have biodiesel production capability but do not offer it for sale.
Apparently
> other sourses also refuse to sell it for road use.
>
> What is going on?

Gary,

I can only presume a couple of reasons for their position. But I can
guarantee you that our biggest obstacle to selling road biodiesel is
government.

Making methyl or ethyl esters is one thing. You can sell billions of gallons
of esters all day long under little scrutiny. Selling off road and road
taxable fuel crosses into the realm of licensing and bonding for fuel
distribution and throws open the flood gates for government manipulation and
intervention.

Some states charge as much as a $150,000.00 US bond just to legally be
permitted to sell the fuel, others a lesser value. Fifty states times "x"
equals a boatload of revenue. All-the-while, this money isn't necessarily
placed in an escrow account to the bond holder's benefit. (Some would call
this theft. Others simply call it government.)

If you only have one fueling station, for example the point of manufacture,
the same dollar values apply, even though your distribution circle is
limited solely to "your country mile." Until such time as farmers develop
umbrella co-ops for fuel distribution, splitting the licensing and bonding
fees and establishing individual fueling centers throughout the
cooperative's region - much as do the fossil fuel giants - there won't be
much road taxable or off road fuel production.

Also, until the combined cost of manufacturing biodiesel and federal and
state road taxes (~$0.45 - ~$0.50 US per gallon of diesel) approaches the
cost of dino diesel, they will continue to manufacture and sell ethyl and
methyl ester - not biodiesel.

Also take into consideration that when selling esters as "off road"
biodiesel, there is the US requirement that the fuel be dyed with 3.9 pounds
of solvent red per 1,000 barrels (42 gallons per barrel). When selling pure
esters, there is no such requirement. Selling esters as non-taxable "off
road" fuel incurs one more manufacturing cost and forces the manufacturer to
carry two inventories, dyed off road fuel and pure esters.

It is not the manufacturer's responsibility to keep the end user honest.
Should you wish to pull up in a flatbed and load 20 drums of ester, so be
it. Should you so choose to consume it all purely as a solvent, fine. Should
you so choose to put this product in your farm tractor's fuel tank or a
heating oil tank, it is not the manufacturer's concern. Should you put same
in your tractor trailer or VW Rabbit, it should remain no concern to the
manufacturer.

However, the moment you pull up and pump the ester into your fuel tank,
government regs make it a liability to the manufacturer. Most are only
preparing to start accepting this burden. It will take some more time.

Todd
Appal Energy