Sam -

My first project car was an 82 Jetta non-turbo (Biodiesel and SRO)
My next and and current is a 77 Mercedes 300d non-turbo (biodiesel)
The next one under mechanical resto. right now is another Jetta 84 automatic
turbodiesel - tough to find. (Biodiesel and SRO).

 Not knowing where you are or anything about condition of the SD, but if
body is good and seems to run ok I would be checking out the title, liens,
compression, glow plugs, transmission, differential etc. VERY CLOSELY before
buying - a good SD goes for at least $2000-3000 US or more, usually, even a
high-miler, even a private sale - so, what's wrong with it?

If it is rusty, it might be rusty around the front spring support -
dangerous and very expensive to fix properly and possible impending failure
from corrosion of other components.

Was the timing chain ever done, or at least checked? What's the service
history? Lots of oil changes? City or highway driving? They all make a big
difference on whether the Merc is worth owning. An engine failure,
transmision failure or rear diff. failure on these cars can all cost more
than the car is worth. Very nice cars, but buyer beware. The SD is bigger
and heavier model of the series, and strains everything just that much more.

I'd say go with the Jetta and take the extra 20 MPG, cheaper parts, and less
suspicion of "why so cheap"? I'd also recommend you get a turbo VW, not the
non-turbo.

Unless you really need or want a "status" sort of car, expensive gee-whiz
toys, or need a long-distance highway tourer, go with the VW. The most
expensive part to fix and to check out  on those is the head gasket (several
hundred to fix at a shop). Common failure. Otherwise check compression (easy
way is to pull oil filler cap at idle and see how  much smoke (blow-by)
there is. Battery, compression, glow plugs - all critical if the thing is
going to start next winter!!

 Be warned - diesels, they all start and run nice when they've been warmed
up before you get there to view, on a warm spring day. Insist on a cold
start and verify it by checking for warmth (lift the hood and see if any
heat coming off the engine or upper rad hose) -  before it is started up, on
your arrival.

No problem with biodiesel in a turbo engine.

Take your pick on biodiesel or SRO (SVO) - there are advantages and
disadvantages to each. Depends on your priorities.

Best

Ed B.