FYI:

"This century has seen the world become a willing captive to an
unsustainable future. The economically developed world is addicted to high
energy consumption and global economic development will be reflected by the
ever-expanding use of fossil fuels. The predicted growth in world
population, supposedly peaking somewhere between 8 to 10 billion people will
become a critical issue as the less developed countries of the world develop
their economies and strive to enjoy their full and fair measure of the
biosphere's renewable and non-renewable resources...

Since oil and coal are extracted from earth sources, supplies are finite and
there are considerable concerns over the extent of remaining reserves. Far
more significant for the quality of our life on this planet are the
environmental problems associated with oil and coal utilization. Severe
atmospheric pollution, acid rain and oil spills have defiled the world we
live in to an unspeakable extent. Of even greater concern is the ceaseless
buildup of carbon dioxide in our atmosphere and the potential warming trend
associated with the Greenhouse effect. However, despite the dual oil price
shocks of 1973 and 1980, total CO2 emissions into the atmosphere increased
by more than 40% in the two decades between 1970 and 1990. It is a pattern
we seem incapable of controlling.

The struggle we face in the future will not be characterized by a single
battle or a focused apocalyptic event. If we continue with our current
lifestyle, we will experience a slow protracted diminution of quality of
life. In how many capitals cities of the world today do we see traffic
police wearing masks to protect them from pollution? How many millions of
new cases of respiratory disease are due to an atmosphere increasingly
degraded by automobile exhausts and industrial emissions?

It is clear that the continued utilization of fossil fuels as a dominant
energy source is not consistent with the long-term sustainability of our
environment. Other practical forms of commercial industrial energy must be
developed and in particular, sources that are renewable and pose the minimum
risk to our environment."

Morton Satin
Chief,
Agro-Industries and Post-harvest Management Service
Agricultural Support Systems Division
FAO

>From the forward to:

Renewable biological systems for alternative sustainable energy production
(FAO Agricultural Services Bulletin - 128)