Hi David C,
                  Went to town this afternoon and dug out the books on
Glyceryn. Couldnt find one of the ones I wanted but found the other which is
excellent and I would recommend, Dug out 4 books, 2 on Glycerine, and 2 on
Fatty acids or Fatty Alcohols, which are related topics, especially when it
comes to Biod.
Titles:
1) The Manufacture of Soaps, Other Detergents and Glycerine by Edgar
Woolatt. (formerly Development Manager of Lever Brothers).  Published by
Ellis Horwood Ltd, and Halstead Press, div of John Wiley and Sons 1985, ISBN
0-85312-567-8 (EHL) and ISBN 0-470-20234-3. An excellent and thoroughly
authoritive text.
2)Glycerine by S.W. Koppe Translated from the German. Published by Scott,
Greenwood & Son, London 1915
A really old book I normally would not have bothered with but has some
interesting chapters titled: Compounds and decomposition products of
Glycerine, The production of Glycerine,  The Production of Pure Glycerine,
and Various applications of Glycerine. Had not seen it before as it was down
in the basement so will at least have a quick scan of it.

3) Industrial Fatty Acids and their Applications edited by E. Scott
Pattison, and published by Reinhold Publishing Corp 1959
Some good photos and line drawings of commercial operations in the States
4)Fatty Alcohols, Raw Materials, Methods, Uses. Published by Henkel,
Dusseldorf, Germany 1982
Some good compositional data of various oils etc.

The first one is the one I would look for and you should learn a lot from
it.
I believe the successful design and manufacture of a small mobile plant is
one of the answers to making biodiesel a feasible product worldwide and
making it viable from an economic point of view. There is a world wide
demand for high quality glycerine which fetches good prices. Prices for the
glycerine could be used to offset shifts in the base raw materials costs. If
a small mobile plant could be put out at realistic cost there would be a
fairly reasonable demand for it. The secret is a cheap energy source as to
distill glycerine you need temperatures in the range of 500 to 600 degrees
and you can imagine how consumptive and expensive this can quickly become at
this temperature range.
I have looked into this before and it is beyond me on a personal level as it
needs a reasonable amount of input and also a reasonable cash input. I
believe the answer is design input from half a dozen people or more and also
financial input from others.
Anyone out there interested in forming a design team and anyone interested
in becoming a financial backer?.
Hope this is of some help to you and others. The answers are out there, the
solution is digging them out and then combining with others to achieve your
goal. Keith, Steve, Aleks, Todd, Ed, and others who add their two cents
everyday and are getting the word out there have moved this industry forward
a long way already but it still has a long way to go.
B.r., David