No biodiesel!! :-(

But - BP-Amoco on the sponsors' list, and, so: "Facilitating the Next
Generation of Natural Gas Trucks". Sigh...

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

From:
http://afdc3.nrel.gov/documents/altfuelnews/5_1contents.html
AFDC - Alternative Fuel News - Vol. 5, No. 1.

http://afdc3.nrel.gov/documents/altfuelnews/5_1feature_trucks.html
AFDC - Alternative Fuel News - Vol. 5, No. 1 FutureTruck

FutureTruck Students Rise to the Challenge

Sport utility vehicles (SUVs) have emerged as the most popular single
vehicle class in the United States. But they generally use more fuel
and produce greater exhaust emissions than passenger cars. They're
big, and getting bigger, in terms of both popularity and physical
size. There's no doubt that SUVs are here to stay. The challenge is
to create an SUV that meets the needs of the future, with better fuel
efficiency and lower emissions, while retaining the comfort and
performance that consumers have grown to expect.

Fifteen teams of university students are rising to meet the challenge
through FutureTruck, a four-year competition sponsored by DOE and
General Motors (GM). Through FutureTruck, university students are
building the SUV of the future, using advanced technologies such as
fuel cells, light-weight materials, innovative powertrain strategies,
and alternative fuels. GM is supplying seed money, prize money,
vehicles (Chevrolet Suburbans), and facilities for testing and
evaluation. Ford Motor Company will become the automotive sponsor in
2002 and 2003.

FutureTruck student teams compete in a series of performance events
including acceleration, trailer tow performance, off-road handling,
and on-road fuel economy; as well as static design events, such as
consumer acceptability and engineering design. The vehicles are
tested for full fuel cycle analysis, and each team must also prepare
a written and oral technical presentation.

Last year marked the start of the four-year FutureTruck competition.
With less than five months to modify their vehicles, students managed
to increase on-road fuel efficiency of their Chevrolet Suburbans by
13%, and reduce greenhouse gas emissions by 25% (compared to stock
vehicles). For more on last year's FutureTruck competition, see AFN
Vol. 4, No. 2, or visit www.futuretruck.org.

What's it like to be a student participating in FutureTruck? "It's
inspiring," said Steve Gurski, team leader for Virginia Tech. "In
FutureTruck there's always a new challenge that no one has ever met
before." According to Gurski, undergraduate students and their team
leaders spend as many as 30 hours per week on their vehicles. Team
leaders-typically graduate students-spend even more time. They also
help leverage funds and support for the project, write reports and
waivers, and direct resources to help solve problems when necessary.
Team leaders ensure that the team, and the vehicle, are ready for the
June competition.

For many students, FutureTruck is a life-changing experience. "I got
involved because of the toys, not realizing what a difference it
would make in my career," said Michael Ogburn, last year's team
leader for Virginia Tech. "Three years of playing with cars and
trucks left me so aware of my passion to make a difference in the
struggle to save the planet, that it makes my head spin to imagine
doing anything else," he said.

The FutureTruck 2001 competition will be held June 4-13. Events will
be held at the GM Proving Ground in Milford, Mich. Teams will then
travel to Washington D.C. for an awards ceremony and vehicle display
on Capitol Hill.

FutureTruck Teams

* Concordia University
* Cornell University
* George Washington University
* Georgia Institute of Technology
* Michigan Technological University
* Ohio State University
* Pennsylvania State University
* Texas Tech University
* University of California, Davis
* University of Idaho
* University of Maryland
* University of Tennessee
* University of Wisconsin, Madison
* Virginia Tech
* West Virginia University

FutureTruck 2001 Headline Sponsors

* U.S. Department of Energy
* General Motors

Additional Sponsors

* The Aluminum Association
* Arvin Meritor
* BP-Amoco
* Cisco Systems
* Delphi Automotive Systems
* Goodyear Tire and Rubber Company
* Governors' Ethanol Coalition
* Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs
* MathWorks
* National Instruments
* Natural Resources Canada
* National Science Foundation