Tom/Steve and all:

On the other hand you do not need to make any, or nearly as much, biodiesel,
so processor and supplies and lab equipment and time spent making are
reduced or eliminated.

 I very strongly advocate the use of biodiesel and SVO  as a synergistic and
complementary system, with biodiesel as the startup and purge fuel.

I'll be adding a paper on this to our web site soon, along with the thesis
I've just completed on the topic:

"Renewable Oil Fuels and Diesel Engines As Components of Sustainable System
Design".

(About a week or so -  I will post another message when they are there on
our web site)

It should not necessarily  be an either/or decision. We use both biodiesel
and SVO  (or "SRO" as I stubbornly insist on calling it, at least until
everyone wears me down on that one!)  and the combination works very well to
get the "best of both worlds". ( Biodiesel in this system approach is a  lot
like using Virtual PC to run PC software on my Mac - it's "there when I need
it".)

PS: Tom, don't burn used motor oil as fuel, no way I know of to process it
properly,  better to get an approved waste oil burner and heat your shop
with it or send it back for rerefining into motor oil. Products of
combustion in a diesel are not good.

Ed B.

www.neotericbiofuels.com