>There are a few guys out here in KS starting to experiment with our first
>batches of biodiesel.  We're looking for some additional information on
>using ethanol rather than methanol for the transesterification (one guy owns
>a nice still)--does this complicate the process?  Is there some good
>information about it someone could refer us to?
>
>Thanks!
>Matt Cantrell

Hello Matt

The information you need is below. Note however that ethanol must be
dry to make ethyl esters. The purest ethanol that can be produced by
ordinary distillation is only 95.6% pure, the rest being water, which
interferes with the transesterification reaction in making ethyl
ester. You'll find information in the references below.

What kind of still does your friend have? I'd be interested to know
the output rate and the proof it produces.

Best

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo
http://journeytoforever.org/

From: Ethanol resources on the Web: Journey to Forever
http://journeytoforever.org/ethanol_link.html

Ethanol biodiesel

"Optimization of a Batch Type Ethyl Ester Process" -- a sure-fire
recipe for biodiesel from ethanol (which you can make yourself),
instead of methanol (which is toxic, fossil-fuel derived, and you
can't make it yourself).
Go to Biofuels Library.
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html

Production and Testing of Ethyl and Methyl Esters
http://www.biodiesel.org/reports/GEN-005.html

Making and Testing a Biodiesel Fuel Made From Ethanol and Waste
French-Fry Oil (Acrobat File)
http://www.biodiesel.org/reports/GEN-152.pdf

Hydrogenated Soy Ethyl Ester (HySEE) Process Refinement (Acrobat File)
http://www.biodiesel.org/reports/GEN-153.pdf

Transesterification Process to Manufacture Ethyl Ester of Rape Oil
(Acrobat File)
http://www.biodiesel.org/reports/GEN-250.pdf

Cornmeal Adsorber for Dehydrating Ethanol Vapors -- by Michael R.
Ladisch et al., Laboratory of Renewable Resources Engineering, Purdue
University. To make ethyl esters the ethanol must be anhydrous -- no
water content. About half the ethanol now produced in the US is dried
using corn grits. When the corn's drying capacity is worn out, it can
be fermented and distilled to make more ethanol. This 1981 paper is
the original work on the subject. Go to the Biofuels Library.
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library.html

See also "The Manual for the Home and Farm Production of Alcohol
Fuel", Chapter 12, Drying the alcohol (full text online):
http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual_ToC.html