>I have also seen slip axle lowboy trailers which allow
>a load to be winched on to the trailer bed at a low
>angle and then the axle subframe is pushed back under
>the trailer bed by the truck backing up and the two
>are pinned together for transport.

Most often that is a beaver tail trailer where the back of the trailer is
angled downward and the bed is tilted to lower the tail.  Sometimes the
beaver tail is hydrulic and is moved as necessary.

Another version is where the goose neck is detached when the front of the
trailer is lowered.  This is often used for the heavy haulers.  A variation
offten used in the oil fields is a flat bed trailer where the nose is
allowed to fall to the ground where the load may be driven on.  A truck
mounted winch can then be used to lift and reconnect the trailer.  An
advantage of that arrangement is that the truck mounted winch can be used to
pull on a dead load.

Another poster mentioned a crane.  A jack leg (or stiff legged) tripod is a
very old device.  Three poles are connected at one end in such a way that as
they are opened into a tripod, the top tightens.  A hoist is attached at the
top.  When done, fold it up and take it away.  Of one leg is securly held to
the ground with a deadman, another pole can be added to make it a crane.
Midevil construction projects used the jack leg crane.