Sent:   Thursday, 31 May 2001 7:06 PM
To:     Kathleen Danna
Subject:        Cellulase Enzymes

Dear Professor Danna,

Previously I sent the following email to [EMAIL PROTECTED], which I
got from the on line staff list at CU Boulder:-

"The following appeared in article about your research on the Environment
News Science web site:- http://ens-news.com/ens/may2001/2001L-05-24-09.html

QUOTE
Associate professor Kathleen Danna of the molecular, cellular and
developmental biology department and her research team created a new
technique they expect to produce low cost enzymes vital for the conversion
of plant cellulose into ethanol. Producing large quantities of the enzymes
could slash costs for the processing of renewable fuels from plant biomass,
said Danna.
UNQUOTE

I am interested in starting a project in Papua New Guinea to produce ethanol
from waste generated during the logging and saw milling process as well as
from other plant wastes such as that from the production of palm oil and
copra.

Are you able to give me any indication regarding the commercial availability
of the enzymes or of the licensing for their production."

Today I saw another article, more detailed, in the UC News dated 23 May
2001. I am neither an academic nor a chemist, but have close contacts with
the people and government of Papua New Guinea and am very interested in
kicking off an ethanol project there as I mentioned above. Unfortunately
there is still much logging going on there but also saw milling and large
scale palm oil production. My interest focuses on he waste products of these
industries. That is why I sent you the previous email on 26 May 2001, which
because of the different address may not have reached you. On the other
hand, the questions I asked there might have been far to early.

I do not know about the mustard weed, but tobacco and corn grow well in PNG.
Once genetically modified, can these plants reproduce in that state, or do
they have to be cloned? Any opinions you may have for the possibility of
your process being used in PNG would be greatly appreciated.

You may know that PNG is a fossil oil exporter, but the wells are relatively
small and already in decline. The country does not have any crude oil
processing infrastructure and all refined products are imported. PNG also
has a large current account deficit and this form of import substitution
would benefit its economy as well as create jobs.