Kevin,

This process does work. So, I still believe that there was something wrong
with your procedure.
Its probably best to try again in a one liter bottle.  Else, you could
detail out your procedure exactly, again, step by step.  For instance, after
how long after you mixed the sulphuric acid did you add the 550ml methoxide?

Mike