I think I was told by my chem prof that many years ago annhydrous ethanol
was taken the last 5 points by dropping metallic sodium into the container.
Need to be careful re fire using this method.

-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Addison [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, June 07, 2001 11:05 AM
To: biofuel@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [biofuel] Freezing EtOH

>[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>
> >      I took 20mL of 95% EtOH and subjected it to -20 degrees C.
>for 30 minutes,
> > then took it down to -30 deg. C for 30 minutes. No ice was formed in
either
> > instance. I did not feel it was necessary to go much colder than
>that, but I can
> > if any one wants me to.
> >
> >      So, freezing is not a viable method of getting anhydrous EtOH for
BioD
> > production. I hope that answers your question, Robert.  Cheers, Joe
> >

>    Thanks, Joe!
>
>    Perhaps it might work as a means to reduce separation energy BEFORE
>distillation.  I've read somewhere that some fuel injected engines
>can operate on a
>50 / 50 mix of ethanol and water.

http://journeytoforever.org/biofuel_library/ethanol_manual/manual3.html
Alcohol Fuel Manual Ch3 - see ALCOHOL INJECTION

You can make 100 proof with a simple pot still.

>    A more pertinent question may be this:  Is anyone actually
>distilling engine
>fuel and using it on a regular basis?

They do, but they might not admit it.

>It seems that regulatory hurdles and a rather
>poor energy balance mitigate against ethanol on a small scale.  For
>those of use who
>do not drive diesels, this is unfortunate.

For diesel drivers too - ethyl esters is a most attractive option.

Keith Addison
Journey to Forever
Handmade Projects
Tokyo