----- Original Message -----
From: "ian" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <biofuel@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, June 09, 2001 5:14 AM
Subject: [biofuel] titration ph question

> Hi all.
> Well, I thought I'd have a play about with learning titration.

Ian, pH meters have their uses but determining the endpoint of a titration
of this nature is not one of them.
Would suggest you go back to use of phenolphthalein indicator to determine
appropriate endpoint.
If you make up your own phenolphthalein soln don't forget to neutralise it
after preparation as the ethanol used is acidic and will effect the end
result.
From memory a 1% solution is prepared by dissolving .1g of phenolphthalein
in 85 mls denatured ethanol, then build volume up to 100ml with distilled
water and add dilute NaOH solution with stirring until the phenolphthalein
solution shows the faintest pink tinge.

Regards   Paul